Friday 30 September 2016

New friends, train travel and other choses!

What a week. So much has happened so I'm going to dive straight in!

Tuesday there was an offer on the carte jeune (youth rail card giving me 50% off train journeys in Nord Pas de Calais and 30% off train journeys in France) which I fully recommend to anyone in France at the mo - it's a life saver. I also brought my train pass for work!
After this I took a lovely trip to the library, did some food shopping and basically thought I was up for a slow afternoon - I was wrong!
Library in Douai, pretty beautiful.
A bibliophile's dream


Outside the library. How luuuush!
I got asked to go to Lille via our cute Facebook group "keen for cheese" to finally meet up with other assistants that had arrived this week, so I took the plunge...or train (not so bad with the new discounts!) It was literally the greatest day. Meeting Nia, Jess, Becca, Lauren, Jay, Ryan and Ash was a fantastic experience, exchanging our recent experiences, universities, info, accents and drinks - what could have been better?A huge shout out to Jess Porter, because without you none of this would have been possible for me (YOU BABE!) And I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am for Monday's training day together!

Giant church :)

Beautiful Catholic Church with Jesus pointing to Becca and Lauren's flat ;)

And again, cos it's pretty cute and french.

Our view from the restaurant

Smiles all round :D

The candid venture begins

Jess just acting causal ;)
So nice after 3 weeks to have a day in English! I can tell already we're going to have the best time together. (I hope!!)

Wednesday was a little..different? I went to the post office in the morning to send off my pass-pass for the train, and accidentally what a shame came back with a scarf (who comes to France without one ME of course). Preparing to do administrative work, sort my timetable out and potentially rest from yesterday's action at some point, it was a no-makeup kind of day. HOW WRONG WAS I?! Poor Vanesa (another assistant) moves to Douai, yet her accommodation wasn't ready! Wednesday was spent hunting for hotels, speaking lots of French on phones, in reception and making sure everything was OK for her! It is now thank god!

Thursday wasn't any less hectic, with my doctors appointment...which I was terrified for, not sure if my French was good enough, what if I had the wrong documents, HOW DO I GET ACROSS THE TRAIN LINES? Poor Matt had to put up with me through this (heart of gold). Making it on the right train to Arras, and finding the doctors in less than 10 mins was a pat on the back and 8230423 cakes my way I thought. Turns out my school hadn't given me the right reimbursement papers...so it was either come all the way back again another day, or pay 23 euros...so looks like I'm 23 euros less for a piece of paper but IT'S DONE! The evening was spent with the French family and Isabelle's friends eating 23984230023 French Crepes, chatting and organising cinema outings woo!
I mean it's rude not to have 5 crepes... 
Isabelle cooking!



Friday Today was really good too! I have finally met my mentor at Vitry, who is also so lovely. I met a few colleagues and even the deputy head. I had a lovely tour around the school and spent some time doing a bit of administration! The only downside was the frequency of trains is terrible. I missed the 2:30 train and had to wait 2 hours for the next one sigh ! I finished my book, went through all my phone photos, walked up and down the platform and possibly lost even more brain cells, but I'm home :) I'm currently waiting for Marie and Charlotte to get here from volley ball, and this weekend we have a family meal!


A few snaps of Vitry
Beautiful flowers despite autumn weather!
belle!


Also saw this beautiful house and thought it was worth the photo!


My view for 2 hours.....

 And now what?

Tomorrow is the family meal! Sunday (I'm so excited I can't even sdkfjsdksdjk) I'm going to Lille to meet the girls and stopping over at Nia's. Girl's night I think is well in order! Monday we are off to the assistantship day together and hopefully won't die of the early get up! Tuesday is my day off and then work starts Wednesday with Caroline in Biache!


Wish me luck!




JR

xxxx












No comments:

Post a Comment