Wednesday 21 December 2016

HOME! (Plus French Xmas stuff)

I'm finally home! Woo-hoo! Merry Christmas everyone!




My last week in France before the Christmas Holidays was very eventful! With my one school in England I had only two days to work before I was home for the holidays, so why not make the most of France!


Tuesday I took a trip to Lille, as Julia, Nia and I had booked to see Le Petit Prince at the theatre! The day started with FOOD. What could be better!? Julia lives in Vieux Lille and knew the best place for a delicious, yet very healthy lunch: Le Pain Quotidien! 

The soup/stew was incredible, and we got all of this for just 12€!! I was really happy! We then had the whole day left before the theatre on the night, so Julia suggested running to the cinema (that started in 5 mins) to catch the next showing of Demain Tout Commence. For those that don't know, it's a very French film, but it includes a very famous actor, Omar Sy, who is in Les Intouchables

So after having a little cry, loads of laughter and literally an amazing experience for two hours...it was time to then leave the cinema. I cannot wait to get this film on DVD to show my dad! With English subtitles of course! For those in France: Get and see this! 

After a little chocolate shopping and none stop chatting about literature, Julia and I decided to buy each other a little Christmas present from Furet du Nord (The Northern France equiv. of waterstones//the best place on earth). I brought Julia Dora Bruder - Patrick Modiano, as it's still my favourite book to date! Julia then treated me to Laclos, which I've not been able to put down since! It was a fantastic day of books, food, films and overall French culture...but it still wasn't over!
After eating an incredible spag-bol with Nia and Julia, Nia suggested we cycle to the theatre. The velib' is the equivalent to Borris Bikes, you rent them and you use them as much as you like in 24hrs/a week/a month/a year depending on what you purchase. I was not calm about this idea at all, despite really wanting to do it at the same time. I don't think I'd rode a bike since year 8, and that was on the path, I was now facing French traffic, cobble roads and tight spaces to fit the bike in! But you know what, I'd do it again. I want to say a big thank you to Nia, who had so much confidence to know what she was doing (and the direction!) and to literally tell me to "trust her" that i was going to be fine. Thank you so much!

The Little Prince was performed in the Theatre Sebastopol, next to the Palais de Beaux Arts in town! It was fantastic. The set was breathtaking, along with the well thought out costumes and fantastic actors. Sadly the narrator was caught a few times reading his lines off a scrap of paper (what?!) but minus that it was one of the best theatre performances I've seen! I'd really recommend going to see a French play, it's an incredible experience.

The rest of the week consisted of work, sleep and getting my suitcase ready! It was exciting to finally see Marie and Charlotte again before Christmas...AND I GOT PRESENTS! It was an incredible final night to spend in France.
Our French flag tree!

It was then a day of travelling before a lovely reunion in Birmingham with Matt! It was so exciting to see him after four months! We then headed home for a HUGE Chinese with my family, it was such a lovely evening!

Sunday and Monday also ended up very action packed - with a huge family trip to Trentham Gardens with food, more food, Christmas decorations and of course pretty shops! Sunday night was also fantastic as I saw my bestfriend from home Annabel! We had a huuuuuge catch up and she brought me the best Christmas present (THANK YOU!)
Monday was another big day, travelling to Birmingham with Ash to meet Matt from work. Sadly the place Matt recommended for lunch was closed, so we ate a Five Guys instead - no complaints here! The day was then the struggle of being too interested in Matt's work place and colleagues, whilst trying not to be the biggest distraction in the world! Then it was time for date night! Matt had booked Nosh and Quoff - a lush restaurant in Birmingham! Officially stuffed but treated better than the Queen herself, we headed home for a well deserved rest! I've literally had the best time (and so has my belly!)
This is Matt grumpy that I keep taking too many photos!
It's been fantastic to be back at home, to have been missed and to be treated so much! I'm enjoying every moment and cannot wait...NOT LONG UNTIL CHRISTMAS NOW!!!!!!


I'll catch up with my blog after the holidays now, with lots of photos and excitement. Until then, Joyeux Noel, Happy Christmas and see you for the next part of my year abroad in 2017.







2 comments:

  1. Je suis ravie de voir à quel point ton aventure dans le Nord te rend heureuse! Joyeux Noël m'tiote, T'es une des nôtres maintenant. Bises à ta famille. Severine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'est fou Severine, le Nord est comme ma deuxième maison//famille maintenant! Joyeux Noël! Profites-toi et gros bisous à toi et à ta famille! xxx

      Delete