Tuesday 4 October 2016

The truth about missing home, an apple festival, Lille and the assistantship so far!

This weekend has been a whirlwind of excitement, fun and even the odd tear! 

Lille - where most of this weekend was spent!
To say after living in France for a month that I don't miss home would be lying and I think despite all the excitement, it's good to write about the more difficult times too.

Living in a different country makes me miss home in a different way to university. It catches me off guard, like a shock to the system. It's true these things come in waves, and not letting yourself become drowned by them is the key. I get waves of missing people: I can be sitting on a train, minding my own business when an old man is playing tetris on his phone - suddenly making me miss my own grandparents! I can be watching TV, walking around town, when out of nowhere I spot things that remind me of people. This isn't always sad and I think that's the key: take this as a lovely sentiment that these people clearly mean a lot to you. I had my first full day Saturday of homesickness, where no matter who I was with, the company wasn't the same as home. After a whole month, I guess this was bound to happen at some point and this is where my family helped (both French and English). This year is going to go so quickly, it would be a shame not to be as happy as possible. What really has helped me avoid feeling like this in the past is getting out the house, as well as doing French things in the house (like reading, netflix chatting to the family). Keeping yourself busy in the week with exciting plans also really helps (as well as fantastic phone calls to home!) The truth is home and true friends will always be there for you when you get back, so better to get out and eat all the french gateaux now rather than miss it later...

I went to Belgium for the first time Saturday!

This Saturday was spent at a house-warming party to begin with...with champagne in an eco-friendly, and beautiful maison. The family and I had a fantastic time eating and drinking and I have to say, cordon bleu is one of the best things I've eaten so far. (CHECK IT OUT).

beautiful maison écologique 


Apple juice, carrot juice and champagne!
We then went about 15 minutes in the car to Belgium for the yearly apple festival! This was the first day of rain I've had since moving here (you wouldn't believe the blue sky above turned black), so it was a shock! Thankfully it stopped as we arrived!
Beer with apples!

Onions....very french?
Different types of Jam made with Apples of course!

Jam called "bisous" or kisses in English!
The apple festival was full of...apples  different types of products including cheeses, jams, cider, beer, snails?! The list goes on! It was really cool to try different types of apples, apple juices and ciders that were all home made/grown! We had to fill in a little survey... AKA master chef....to help the owners see which of their newest types of apples were the best!








It was a really nice family day, especially when the sun came out! It's understandable why the French find the Belgian accent odd...it's just different! I'm awaiting avec impatience to get back to Belgium soon!





Apple art of course needs to be involved here:
 




Sunday was very busy for me too! I went into Lille to meet the other assistants and to go to a market in the morning. Arriving in the pouring rain was not the best...but a few of us brought some really nice fruit to stop that getting us down!



Featuring Nia looking extremely confused about life.




Sadly...but kind of hilariously we will not be going back to said market...We all agreed it was very..erm AWFUL.

It was nice to then spend the day with Nia roaming around Lille and then ending up at her room to chill, chat and catch up about life! The evening together also had some spectacular views before meeting Jess, Julia and Beth for food:

 

When you think you've ordered pork but get a whole rack of ribs, salad and chips...











The evening was really good fun, with fantastic company. I really enjoyed spending my time with Nia, who I know label my main 'gal' in all situations. (If you read this I'm extremely grateful for this weekend!!)


Monday was the assistantship meet up in town - which seemed very exciting! After an early get up and a tube to Point de Bois, we ended up in Lille 3 - sort of a dream as this is where you can study more literature...and their library is huge... geek moment over the day began at 9...yet with the rabble for documents and the organisation being...well..French, myself and Lauren were ready to jump ship by the time it got to lunch...

Thank goodness for two really hilarious Scottish girls. Mecca and Lauren you made my day so much better!

It was a really good day to cement current and new friendships, and I feel our keen for cheese Facebook group is literally the best in Lille. But I'm not biased. 

The day for "training" hasn't ended, with another 2 more days to do...hurray...

Luckily the day ended with a Flammkuche ...it really ISN'T pizza I promise.

Today?
My day off. I was grateful after a busy few days. I did some shopping, tried to see if my bank card was coming any year soon (it's not and it's painful) and caught up with Bel, my best friend from home, with old photos and good giggles.

WORK STARTS TOMORROW!!!!!! Wish me luck, I have a period of observation and then teaching peaky blinders ENGLISH commences. Shakespeare tomorrow, let's do Morrin proud.


JR xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment