Sunday 15 January 2017

Galette des rois and a french week!

What a week it's been! Currently I look like this:
BUT I'LL EXPLAIN EVERYTHING SOON.

After Amsterdam it's pretty much been go go go - which I LOVE. I've began exercising too, so I'm pleased the New Year's Resolution is more than a note in a book!

Monday was a long day - I did my full 6 hours at Vitry and tutored afterwards. This day was New Year's Resolutions and I felt I did myself proud doing the same lesson over and over! I had some really nice classes playing How Well Do You Know Your Friend?! A sort of game show, where they have to send their best friend out, answer questions about them, and see if they can guess the right answer! A really nice way to finish a long Monday! My tutoring is also going really well, planning things in advance seems to be key, moving from there with different activities found online or made up on paper! (I'm planning on doing a blog post at the end of my time with EVERYTHING I used!)

Tuesday- A day off - or the start of the exercise. The Nike application allows me to use a bit of the gym equipment I have in the house as well as having nothing! It's started off a bit of a killer but lets hope it progresses! Tuesday night after a good Sherlock session catch up, was a repas chez Vanessa! And my god it was damn good. Thank you again Vanessa for the incredible company, I can't wait to do the same this week!

Wednesday- After working on The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Mine and Max's favourite, I went to Douai with Vanessa for a cake date, to buy Paris tickets (27 euro aller et retour cha ching!) and to help Vanessa at the bank!
Cake dates are my favourite! Thanks again for coming with me Vanessa, I had my first Merveilleux that day too yay! This, for people not so Frenched up, is a meringue covered in chocolate and with cream inside! 

Thursday was a day off, which lead to more work than a normal day, and of course exercise!!!!

Friday I stopped Chez Lauren and Becca's sadly sans a Becca! But I had such a fantastic night, thank you again for having me Lauren. It was an absolute pleasure after feeling a little run down to have bangers and mash, to watch Hitch and then to eat our weight in sweets and snacks. I loved every minute of it! Thank you again!

Saturday was really exciting too! Meeting Vanessa in town, all three of us went round the sales (I'm not sure if we thought that one through!) but it meant a nice trip to Sephora and Furet Du Nord so I was happy. We also managed to eat in the petit crêperie in the grande place that me and Zoe had previously been to!


We had savoury crepes to start with, then we ate sugary ones with LOTS of yummy toppings. It was definitely the highlight of the day, with a special (and bloody expensive) cider. It doesn't get much better than this! I also brought the entire works of Proust - so now I have no excuse what to do for my dissertation someday! I'm excited to start my pencil scribbles already!!!

TODAY, SUNDAY- The famous Galette des rois party. I was invited by Amélie, a colleague at work, the sports teacher to be precise, to a house party. I felt a bit nervous, my track record at strangers houses wasn't the best and I didn't really know what to think about having a huge cake for a meal...or what would be involved! 

The Galette des rois, is the cake of Kings, traditionally eaten in January to wish the New Year in. What better than a New Year's party with a lot of champagne (8/9 bottles ?!!), wine and more food than you could possibly eat?! I was welcomed by a lot of lovely French people, who not only told me my French was impeccable, but also discussed so many different things with me I felt just at home! What an ego boost too! 

I ate the famous Northern Oysters, and even snails! I felt very well treated, with lots more apéritifs and lovely food, who even had room for the galette?!?!

So why on earth do I look like this?
The galette has a small little figure stuffed into it and the cake is then made and cut up into pieces. The youngest person in the room then gets to decide who gets which piece of cake. The game is if you get the 'feve' figure, you get to be King/Queen, winning a crown. You also get to pick your King/Queen to go with you too. So it's a really cute game for kids...and Jessica of course. 
Ours were little cats, but the boulangeries all have their different "feves" inside. The one down the road does Mr Men for example! So I got to be queen for the evening.

I'm so so glad I went, I had the most fantastic time with yet another huge French family, who are now dying to see me again! I'm going to run out of weekends to do things in soon!!!! 

SO WHAT'S NEXT?
I'm finally going to Caroline's to spend a family weekend at hers this week! Then I have a huge birthday meal for the girls in Lille (a huge happy birthday again Nia, Lucie, Julia and Beth!) and then Vanessa and I are going Paris woohoooooo! Roll on the next few weeks!


xxxx

JR





No comments:

Post a Comment