Wednesday 4 January 2017

Xmas and Assistantship truths

Happy New Year or bonne année 2017!

Christmas is over, we're all stuffed from too many meals and too many drinks and its the dreaded time to go back to work...or for us assistants...school! Two weeks was never going to be enough, especially after being used to a month off thanks to university. After four months though, I literally had the time of my life at home. Here are some of my highlights as there were too many photos to just throw on! I changed my hair, I went to Christmas parties, we went to Xmas Eve at the pub, Xmas day and Boxing day with the whole family, freshly baked mince pies, Xmas walks, family love and New Year's eve.

 



 

 


January 2nd came round a bit too quickly for myself and my family. I'd barely been home five seconds and it was time to pack the suitcase and return to Lille. It's really important that assistants current and potential understand that this transition wasn't easy - and I think I can vouch for a lot of us here in France - it's sad to come back after such a family orientated time at home...especially how short it is. I did not deal with coming back easily - something which shocked my friends here, as I was the one who loved France more than breathing and got on so well after 4 months. Homesick Jess is well known due to Nottingham, however, so my family were almost ready for this reaction. An evening of tears, saying goodbye and a whole morning of crying in Birmingham had branded me as far away from a "brave girl" as humanly possible. But this is can happen to the best of us, home is where my heart is and that's far from changing.

Arriving in Lille was lovely as I had a fantastic journey with Ellie (thank you again so much for boosting my mood and putting up with me chatting away) and seeing Lucie in the station was fab! Isa and Marie picked me up from the station which was one less worry and then I was taken home by Julien (who's learning to drive! where does the time go!?). The night was a lot of phone calls, unpacking and settling back into my lovely room. I'm so grateful to be in such a family home. Tuesday was my day off, a day where everyone bar me goes to work. I was actually worried sick about being on my own all day and most of the evening, but I feel I did myself proud.

I woke up not wanting to move, let alone go and get a train pass. I missed home, I didn't want to be in France and I was fed up. It took me until 11:30 to even leave the house! I decided to go to the library first, to get a Proust Tomb and have a little walk. The library always made me feel better if I felt stressed before and this day was no exception. After that, I decided it was time to find a sandwich and charge my "pass-pass". My favourite sandwich place - not far from la gare - was shut. DISASTER. Surrounded by clothes shops and the occasional French pub, what was I going to do now?! * Note * When missing home, everything does really feel like the end of the world. But it's not. I promise. I then took up the courage to eat in a little café a few doors down, as a kind gentlemen recommended its food (after I asked of course!) Throwing away all ideas of a sandwich, I had an omelette with bacon and chips. The staff couldn't have done more for the little English girl eating alone, giving me their wifi password, lovely chats and a little bread basket to myself. 



Eating and reading a little I turned to see the lady next to me - also reading! To my surprise she was sat reading Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea in ENGLISH. Me being me, I began to chat to her as we both ate, asking her why she read in English and had the pleasant conversation about my love for Proust. 

Leaving the café I was suddenly really proud of myself, I felt braver than ever and it really made me confident again. Sometimes you have to do what makes you happy, sometimes that can be outside your comfort zone! The day then ended with lots more French speaking and family phone calls. 


Today I decided to buy the ear-rings I've wanted since forever, read my favourite author and see my lovely friend Vanessa. Eating a subway and catching up about our holidays was fab and we've got plans together next week now which I cannot wait for. This weekend is Amsterdam and I'm really excited to see Nia, Zoe and Claudia again!
So some important truths: Homesickness happens. It hurts. It will come back in waves. I'm sure this won't be the last time at all.

What we as assistants have to do, is whatever makes you happy. Go to the cinema and forget about life, read a book, eat French cakes, go buy the ear-rings you wanted. Cheer yourself up, because how many other people can say they're living in France for a whole year?!?! I know this isn't as easy as ABC, but what has really helped me recently is making plans, having phone calls and staying positive. If you can't stay positive, phone someone or be with someone who can be. Just get out there and make something of it. I know first hand this is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I've ever done, let's not waste it.

To all the other assistants who are finding this the hardest part so far: it will get better, I promise.



Sending my love to Matt, my family, Bel and my friends, who have made these past few days easier and easier for me. Where would I be without you?

JR - a sort of brave girl.
xxx









No comments:

Post a Comment