Thursday 20 October 2016

More language troubles from a Bloxwich native

After living in France for nearly two months, it's inevitable that I was going to come across certain language and vocabulary troubles, this is the reason I'm here after all: TO IMPROVE! First of all this is nothing to worry about. Personally, I find it either funny or interesting to see a language difference. What is important is that you learn from it.
For example, saying goodbye has even become a bit weird for me at the moment. In England it's easy, it's bye, see you later, or in Bloxwegian: in a bit! I've been using the French for see you later a lot: à tout à l'heure, sometimes this works - bye family see you later - but other times it doesn't. This may seem like common sense (I do lack this), but in English I say see you later in a vague, general way of saying goodbye. In French, saying à tout à l'heure to people I may not see later on that day gets bizarre looks, or questions like "vraiment Jessica?!" OK, maybe I won't then....


Au revoir, however, seems to work for brief encounters or with strangers, but not so much with really good friends or family. One friend said it was too emotional (whaaat?) and others said it seemed too abrupt. What's lovely, is that from this, in France it's never goodbye, just "see you soon" ..à bientôt! But this again, depends on your relationships. In our house we say bye-bye too, so goodness knows what I should be using.

Another language trouble is my pronunciation of the french 'U' as in pull, Cou cou, écoute, mute, but...A handy tip has been to push your lips together so you look like a fish...or to think of it as the 'U' sound in: 'foot'. I'm trying to practise in my free time, just making this natural is becoming difficult!
I'm getting better at correcting myself at the moment, but sometimes I don't realise I'm not making the right sound! This hopefully will come - ça va venir as Isabelle says. Let's hope it does.


The accent is also a strange one. I'm no longer as 'anglaise' as before, but there is a twang that is still there at the end of certain phrases. It's nice to dream that one day this will be gone, but it's unrealistic unless I stay for 5 years (au revoir Nottingham).

Onto the positives! What's a little creepy is that apparently I've started to "um" like a French person...as noted by the French family. They're currently really proud of my progression and speed - I don't search for my words anymore and they believe I can have a conversation the same as any French person...hope I'm making Mme Daillet, Mme Hole, and Mme Merill proud! I just hope I don't forget things over Christmas! What's also useful is that I can correct myself and feel (?) when I need to use certain words: partitive articles, indefinite articles, definite articles, certain verbs I've heard in conversation and understand without knowing the English.....


This does lead me into me swearing in French without realising it: C'est bordel! Bordel - I've heard this said a million times and thought it just meant disorganised, a mess (like my room in England), just a state. No no no. This is a bit of swearing word which I accidentally came out with in conversation (thank god with my mentor teacher and not the pupils). This is also an issue with language learning, you pick up phrases you think you understand...when really BOOM no.  The horror and embarrassment. E.g. Never say je suis excitée....

Overall my French is far from perfect, but after two months I'm really happy with how things are going. Maybe you'll make a française out of me yet?

Stay tuned for more funny errors, travels and culture of course..or do I just mean cake?

JR xxx


All gifs sourced from www.giphy.com



No comments:

Post a Comment