Monday 6 March 2017

Top 10 Tips for Language Assistants

This is a blog post for anyone thinking of applying to become a language assistant in France. I've written up my top tips that should help anyone becoming/applying to do my assistantship, even if you aren't thinking about Lille as your département. 

TIP NUMBER 1- Have all of your documents prepared before you leave for France.
Make sure all Erasmus papers are printed off (if applicable), all of your insurance is paid for and printed off, you have copies (front AND back) of your passport and ID, you have copies of your birth certificate and you have passport photos taken. Copies of bank documents from your English account can be useful too. Take everything with you!

TIP NUMBER 2- Get passport photos printed. I had 10 and I've nearly used all of these. They come in handy for all types of things - train passes, health card, pass education nationale, my file at school, the list could go on. This is one of the best things you can prepare before you come in my eyes!

TIP NUMBER 3- Set up a bank account, go for your medical check up, do the route to your schools all before school starts - you want to be paid on time and not have to waste weekends doing these jobs! With the bank account - choose somewhere where the card can work online - a lot of my friends and I went cheap - which means no using the debit card for online transactions! This only becomes annoying for travelling - but yet not the end of the world!

TIP NUMBER 4- When applying for the assistantship, think about your location of accommodation. My priority, for example, was living with a French family in Douai. This meant that commuting to work and not living in the city centre didn't matter as much to me. FAIRE ATTENTION, if you don't work live closely with good transport lines to work, this could be difficult. 

This year, I haven't been able to do many soirées mid-week in Lille, due to work commitments. This doesn't make me immensely sad, my priority is my home here and feeling safe. I also have a choice of spending time with French or English people. MAIS I make an effort to see my friends in Lille as much as I can. It's about balance. But consider this when making your choices. 

I would advise considering where you want to live in relation to work and in relation to other assistants. I often spend more than my set amount of hours at work, as it is impossible to nip back home due to the trains being irregular. You may find this tiring. I enjoy it, I'm constantly around French people and I've made some incredible friends. Yet, my other friends in Lille have a lot more free time than me, living closer to their work. 

TIP NUMBER 5- What age do you really want to teach? I didn't really care about this, but I put collège and was happy with receiving two. I also work for a primary school - that is really a joy, as English is one big game! My friends get to do a lot more technical things with their students in the lycées but this doesn't seem any more/less exciting. See what suits you!

TIP NUMBER 6 - Really consider travelling. With a wage, you can go anywhere in France - even Europe! Lille has some brilliant coach trips - taking us to Paris, Versailles, Amsterdam, Belgium the list goes on, for very cheap prices. It's connections are brilliant. It's a lot to consider when picking a département.

TIP NUMBER 7- Are you a home bird? I really am (but I think I'm getting over it a lot!) so the North is very easy access to the UK - even the Ouibus will get you to London cheaply if the Eurostar is too expensive. I can be in London in an hour and thirty mins on the Eurostar! The South is a little more complicated but flying can also be quick!

TIP NUMBER 8- 
Say "yes" to all opportunities, to travelling, to meals with colleagues, to meals with assistants, to sleepovers, to nights out, to days out. Do it all and do it with passion!

TIP NUMBER 9- IF YOU DON'T TRY TO SPEAK FRENCH HOW WILL YOU EVER GET BETTER??????????

TIP NUMBER 10- Make an effort with the French and the language and you'll never be unhappy! I've made a large effort in awkward staff rooms, eating in the school restaurant with others, meeting other French families (the list goes on) to always talk, to always be interested in other people's days and to always be polite. I'm very out-going so this helps, but I would fully recommend asking people how their day is going and what they're up to on the weekends etc - I've been invited to many meals and occasions through this. Maybe it was luck, maybe it's my personality, but I think trying will always allow you to succeed.



No comments:

Post a Comment