Tuesday 11 October 2016

Bruxelles & My Job!

This weekend was busy, but no doubt one of the best days we've had as assistants so far.
After an early train journey to Lille at 7:35am it was worth it to see sights like this!
8am didn't feel too bad then!

A huge shout out to Nia, Julia, Beth, Lauren, Becca, Claudia and Luke for this amazing trip :)
We took the train at 9:08am to Bruxelles Midi - the central station in Bruxelles, which was a lovely twenty minute journey full of stories about France, Baudelaire, Flaubert and Balzac..with the occasional story of Eminem - Thank you so much Julia.

First stop was obviously to get a real Belgian waffle...which were the greatest and messiest things I've ever eaten - So shout out to Luke who gave me 3 napkins and who put up with me looking like a child who has never seen Nutella before!
Julia & Nia!

Bruxelles was a lovely place to explore and we were all so grateful it didn't rain. Thank you so much to Nia and her crazy ideas, we took a horse and carriage around Bruxelles city centre, which was really informative as well as crazy fun!

Julia with the horses!








Exploring the city centre was really good fun, which involved a trip to the Hard Rock cafe and t-shirt purchases with Lauren(!) and then more chips and Belgian beer. Personally, this day was incredible because it really brought us all together as a group, and cemented our crazy friendships. Thank you to Luke who put up with 7 girls all day. It was a really good day out! I cannot wait for our next adventure together.

A few more snaps of Belgium before I tell you about my work life! Or some of it atleast!

 
 
 

 


To those thinking about doing the assistantship, or curious into my work life......

A week in the work life of Jessica


Working as an assistant has started off well. I work, as I've mentioned, in two secondary schools. Both are on the same train line, and I work 12 hours a week at both. They tell you at University to go for this option, as it is technically less tiring than having a full time job. Choosing to live in Douai and not Arras has its benefits (HUGE benefits) - an amazing French family, a home, love and care and FOOD! Yet, it also has its drawbacks when it comes to travel....

Monday I begin work either at 12pm or 1pm, in Vitry depending on what week we're in (it alternates). The trains aren't very frequent, so it means I can get to work at 10am or get to work for 1:30pm.  Neither as you can see works too well. Arriving early means time spent in the staffroom - the dreaded place for first time assistants. This is the place where ALL teachers group up, chat, and where you have to find your calling. It's really normally to feel left out at first I think, as you're the newbie. I'm very sociable (I'd say) and very very chatty, so this was odd for me at Vitry, as Biache everyone was overly welcoming and friendly. Vitry I found my own way. This is key. Having the confidence to go up to people and start conversations, to join in when you can, or to simply sit and listen. Some teachers can be friendly others can be quiet, just find where you fit. I work two hours(?!?!) and then I go home. Except home is 3pm and the train is at 4....so sometimes I'm out more hours than I should be. Other assistants in Lille get to walk home or have a few metro stops - I'm jealous. But it's swings and roundabouts, I love Douai.

My two classes began with my presentation about myself, my family and my friends, my pets and hobbies and then to chat about my lifestyle with questions from the kids. A real ice breaker as I made videos of Bloxwich, which really got the kids attention - NO ONE LIKES BORING PRESENTATIONS!

Tuesdays - My day off after those busy 2 hours! AKA have a little lie in, lesson plan, eat, do the food shopping, sort out any problems....etc! My day to do me. Banking issues means I do not have a VISA card despite opening an account 3 weeks ago...I'm still waiting for this card sadly.  Tuesday's so far have been trying to deal with this...
But sometimes its about the little pick me ups!

Beautiful cakes are totally worth it. As well as catching up with one of my best friends at Uni - Vince! It's a good chill out day before the 6AM starts of Wednesday and Friday.
Trips to the library also excite the geek in me, so it's always good to receive recommendations (thank you Julia) and to find out what really I enjoy to read....there's so much!

I always think Tuesdays or days off are great days to explore, watch and listen to more French...but equally are fab to speak to the family.


Wednesdays I'm at Biache from 8am until the afternoon (12:30) - there's no school Wednesday afternoon in France! So it's a good motivation wise, as the kids are very enthusiastic as well as the teachers - not only because it is Wednesday, but because they just ...are! I really enjoy the fun activities but teaching half the class on my own has become a struggle at the beginning as the Bloxwich accent isn't always the most poetic to listen to... or easy. This means the older students are VERY quiet to start with, which is a little intimidating...but it's all about making them comfortable and having FUN. It's got to be scary having someone who sounds like a Peaky Blinder talking to you for the first time! The younger students are really funny at Biache, as they find it surprising I can speak French! Unlike the "teens" of the school, the year 7s are very excitable, very hard working and constantly want to speak to me in English..I guess a teacher's dream!?!

Thursdays are back to Vitry where in the afternoon I also have been asked by the head teacher to do a club. Normally in France, they should have 2 hours for break, but because Vitry have found the kids get too bored, they only do 2 hours every Thursday. The club is to avoid this boredom at lunch time (no pressure). I've planned to do a lot of games and a site that is really worth looking at is http://iteslj.org/games/ that lists many different types of language learning games! I've used this and adapted some games, as I'll have mixed ability groups as ANYONE can join. It's not only given me ideas, but has helped me to think of my own. The club starts this week, I hope it'll be good fun and NOT lesson like at all! My aim is to just have fun mixing French with English - franglais - so it doesn't become another English lesson!

Fridays are my most exciting day, this is at Biache. Here I get a free meal on a Friday (which did involve me eating rabbit, sorry! It was nice!) and I get to teach the theatre group 3-5pm! We have started Romeo and Juliet in Las Vegas, a modern adaptation. It's really funny and a good twist on the well known play. The students are motivated and talkative too, which makes it all that more easier! The thing I've noticed the most is their desire to speak English as much as possible!

PHRASES YOU CANNOT SAY TO KIDS BECAUSE THIS MAKES NO ENGLISH SENSE:

  • That's dead good that is. (Why do we do this Bloxwich/Jess) How can something be dead and good Miss?? Nope I have no idea.
  • GOD KNOWS! - It took me ages to realise we say this because "Only God knows what the hell is going on!" - The teachers loved this phrase, I think it's slightly using the lords name there but France is secular so who cares
  • Snug as a bug. No I have no idea in English either.


So yes, I work 12 hours...but I do spend the rest travelling! It's good nowadays as the schools are offering to reimburse all travel costs! So more cake?

How am I this week? This week I feel rotten, there's no two ways about it. The heating has been fixed so this has improved the coldness, but I think I'm bed bound for a little while this week - which is good for sleep I guess! I refuse not to miss work, but it means I feel even more exhausted instead of just having the time off! TIME IS MONEY. Hopefully I'm better for the weekend, especially as Saturday we have booked to go to the theatre!


JR

xxxx










No comments:

Post a Comment